[kwlug-disc] KWLUG collective's opinion on obsidian.md

Andrew Sullivan Cant acant at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Sat Apr 16 11:56:46 EDT 2022

Hi everyone,

I have heard of Obsidian before and I did a little more reading, when
this thread came up. For my own thinking, and anyone else's interest I am

> Obsidian is not open source, a deal breaker for some of us. But at least
> your data is free if you use it, stored locally in standard markdown files.

In general, I agree with Doug's assessment. Some of Obsidian's feature
looking interesting, but not being open source is a deal breaker.

So some interesting points:

* they appear to be a Kitchener company, founded by UW graduates
   - https://obsidian.md/about
* they have a system for publishing your notes
   - https://obsidian.md/publish
   - as a feature this is nice, and I would like something similar to
     this in my own tools
   - but again, not FLOSS, so you are stuck with their service
* they generate a nice graph of how pages are linked
* their sync service is end-to-end encrypted which is nice
   - but again you are depending up on their non-free software to
     implement this correctly

I assume that they will make their money on the Sync service, and
selling license/support contracts to organizations. They seem like they
could be free software and still do those things.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Andrew

(P.S.:
Just before this thread, I was some other discussions about notes taking
in general, which also mention Obsidian:
* https://lobste.rs/s/rzyvgq/what_is_your_neo_vim_version_control_for
* https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=30975586
)