[kwlug-disc] KWLUG collective's opinion on obsidian.md

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Tue Apr 5 13:55:23 EDT 2022

Obsidian and Joplin frequently crop up in discussions of the best note-taking apps. Some people claim that they have complementary strengths, and use them together: two different interfaces for editing the same set of *.md files. Eg, this quote: "*Joplin* is great because I can add notes on any device, online and offline. It is much more convenient than paper or any other medium. *Obsidian* works great as a Zettelkasten, with its links, tags and Graph views. I think more people should consider using them together as opposed to making *Joplin* into *Obsidian*."

Obsidian is not open source, a deal breaker for some of us. But at least your data is free if you use it, stored locally in standard markdown files.

This is just from googling, I'm not currently using either program.