[kwlug-disc] Now in the market for a new search engine...

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Sat Apr 16 09:04:16 EDT 2022

Youtube-dl.org's web hosting provider is being sued by Sony, Universal, etc. Wouldn't surprise me if this group has legally threatened Duck Duck Go, and they caved rather than fighting in court.

https://torrentfreak.com/youtube-dls-hosting-provider-fights-record-labels-lawsuit-220308/

Interesting that GitHub is not reported as being sued over youtube-dl. This might be related to difference between American and German law, and the fact that GitHub has announced a $1,000,000 legal defence fund for fighting any lawsuit to take down youtube-dl.

If the German lawsuit is resolved in favour of youtube-dl.org then duck duck go is then probably safe to relist youtube-dl.org.