[kwlug-disc] FairEmail app for Android

Mark Steffen mark at steffen.ca
Tue Apr 5 09:34:27 EDT 2022

I've used FairEmail on my phone exclusively for years, and I use
Thunderbird on KDE desktop exclusively (daily driver).  IMAP/SMTP +
caldav/carddav integrations (phone has an app for the caldav/carddav
stuff that runs in the background to sync).  It is less elegant than
ActiveSync but it does work.

I don't have any issues with Thunderbird but there was somewhat of a
learning curve with things like search and stuff.  I'm pretty happy with
it now but it took some commitment.  I had tried Evolution multiple
times over the past couple decades but it always seemed a bit too buggy,
and they dropped Mac support (I had been using a Mac as a daily driver
up until a couple years ago).

I will agree that Thunderbird can be slow... I don't use it on the
pinebook pro for that reason but on my udoo bolt it runs great (though,
it has a silly amount of RAM and an nvme drive).

I've heard good things about Geary and others but now I'm stuck in my
ways. :-D

Mark