[kwlug-disc] KVM switch alternatives

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Tue Sep 7 13:44:39 EDT 2021

On Tue, Sep 7, 2021, at 12:02, CrankyOldBugger wrote:
> Just a few hours after you sent this I got a news article in my feed saying that they've gone to Kickstarter.
>
> https://www.itsfoss.net/raspberry-pi-based-pi-kvm-goes-to-kickstarter/
>

> On Mon, 6 Sept 2021 at 16:35, Alex K <korobkin+kwl at gmail.com <mailto:korobkin%2Bkwl at gmail.com>> wrote:
>> Btw, https://pikvm.org/ is an interesting project.

I've backed this on kickstarter already, looking forward to getting one. Will post back with thoughts when it arrives.

>From what I understand, there's some problems trying to sandwich this with the official POE adapter. I may need to order a third-party POE adapter.

I still need to get a KVM switch. PiKVM only does the KVM-to-network part, and relies on an external KVM switch if you want to use it with multiple machines.

Currently, I only *need* to use it with one machine (my server), because I hate having to go into the crawlspace when I need the physical console. But my long-term goal is to migrate my desktop down there, and try to display remotely (if I can figure out how how to solve the distance-related issues this introduces.). This device will save a lot of crawling during troubleshooting during updates, no display, etc.

--
*Chris Irwin*

email:   chris at chrisirwin.ca
 xmpp:   chris at chrisirwin.ca