[kwlug-disc] PinePhone woes

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Thu Nov 4 00:23:50 EDT 2021

On 2021-11-03 12:08 p.m., Mark Steffen wrote:

> The PinePhone PRO looks like it has the specs to be a daily driver, I
> don't think the original Pinephone will be anything but a niche use
> case/testing device.  It's just too slow for real world use unless you
> have the patience of  Job.

Indeed, new one will be the one for consumers, for that level of service.

PinePhone though, is perfect for developers. Developer must see/test
owns apps on sub-par hardware. Its like training with weights.

By the way, note that
https://pine64.com/product/pinephone-beta-edition-with-convergence-package/
still says "Beta Edition PinePhones are aimed solely at early adopters.
More specifically, only intend for these units to find their way into
the hands of users with extensive Linux experience."

In the last month I have some free and google free android on which I
test android app. Flushing different OS' as easy as starting different
linux/bsd OS' is refreshing. No fear of bricking anything. Very liberating.