[kwlug-disc] PinePhone woes

Gordon Dey gordon.dey at happydeys.ca
Wed Nov 3 14:59:14 EDT 2021

On 2021-11-03 12:08 p.m., Mark Steffen wrote[edited]:

>> That has been a common trend in all the China/Taiwan/Korea based
>> boards in the past decade or so. They release an almost working distro,
>> and it never gets updated.

I think the reason why is that vendors see shifting boxes as profit,
whereas development and maintenance as a cost. Therefore, they would
rather abandon perfectly capable hardware over trying to evolve it to
maximize profit.

Case in point: the electronics in my car, like the map, won't update
over=the-air, and reputedly can't be updated via SD card. Just like my
tablet and phone, I am expected to buy new one annually.

I wish that they'd open source the code so we could update it, rather
than discard it.

Gord.