[kwlug-disc] Installing Docker fails on Raspberry Pi 3

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu May 6 17:47:11 EDT 2021

On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 7:30 PM Chris Irwin <chris at chrisirwin.ca> wrote:

> It really sounds like the kernel built on that distro is missing a
> number of modules.

Yeah, I don't know what is missing. This is a standard Raspbian from
a few years ago. Nothing special.

At some point it might be easier to try with another
> distro, rather than hack this one into shape?

It is, but not immediately. I have Home Assistant on that machine working
in a Python venv. Because there is no Python 3.8 until the summer version
of Raspbian (Bullseye), I wanted to run HA in Docker.

On my Pi4 (8GB), I'm using the RPI4 UEFI boot image on a small MicroSD
> card:
>
>      https://github.com/pftf/RPi4

That is interesting ... my Pi is 3 though ...

Maybe I will wait till summer, then create a new microSD card with Bullseye
then try Docker on that.

This allows me to boot generic aarch64 images, rather than RPi-specific
> images. I also have the OS entirely on a USB SSD (although the Pi can
> boot from those on it's own now, anyway)

Off topic: Do you know if the Pi 3 would directly boot from a USB SSD or
not?

FWIW, I'm also running homeassistant container in podman on said server,
> in Fedora 33. I'm also passing through usb devices for zigbee and
> z-wave.

Interesting. We can talk about all that off list ...

I'm still struggling to get behind the lifecycle model of containers,
> though.

Exactly my frustration: the current crop of projects all came about with
developers
who do not know how to manage dependencies and life cycle. They just create
an
image and say "here it is, run it in a container". Extremely frustrating
for those of
us who got used to Debian's way of perpetual upgrades in-place ...