[kwlug-disc] Installing Docker fails on Raspberry Pi 3

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Wed May 5 19:29:01 EDT 2021

On Wed, May 05, 2021 at 07:12:54PM -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>On Wed, May 5, 2021 at 12:27 AM Ronald Barnes <ron at ronaldbarnes.ca> wrote:
>
>No luck on this one.
>
>$ sudo lsmod | grep net
>$
>$ sudo lsmod | grep bridge
>$
>
>And there are no packages like that Ubuntu one in Raspian ...
>Not sure what provides the br_netfilter

It really sounds like the kernel built on that distro is missing a
number of modules. At some point it might be easier to try with another
distro, rather than hack this one into shape?

On my Pi4 (8GB), I'm using the RPI4 UEFI boot image on a small MicroSD
card:

     https://github.com/pftf/RPi4

This allows me to boot generic aarch64 images, rather than RPi-specific
images. I also have the OS entirely on a USB SSD (although the Pi can
boot from those on it's own now, anyway)

I'm currently running Fedora 33 Server on it, and intend to relocate
some of my "must be running" network containers to it (dns, probably
homeassistant), to allow my main server to be used for bigger, but less
uptimey things.

FWIW, I'm also running homeassistant container in podman on said server,
in Fedora 33. I'm also passing through usb devices for zigbee and
z-wave.

I'm still struggling to get behind the lifecycle model of containers,
though.

--
Chris Irwin

email:   chris at chrisirwin.ca