[kwlug-disc] What happened to all the video cards?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Mar 24 12:25:06 EDT 2021

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 12:19 PM CrankyOldBugger <crankyoldbugger at gmail.com>
wrote:

> So I've been shopping online for a new graphics card.  I was thinking of
> getting 8gb or 12gb until I saw the prices, so now looking in the 4-6gb
> range.  Apparently none exist anywhere..  I've never seen the shelves so
> empty before.  Canada Computers' website was embarrassing bad.  Amazon has
> next to nothing useful.  Newegg isn't much better.

A significant portion of high end graphic cards go into Bitcoin mining.

There are also chip shortages caused by the shift in buying patterns during
the pandemic (auto manufacturers thought that people will not buy as much
cards, and asked production to be reduced, and now they can't finish
putting together cars because of that).