[kwlug-disc] What happened to all the video cards?

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 12:18:49 EDT 2021

So my eight year old video card (a Zotac GTX660) blew up last night.  At
least I think that happened.  It was on a reboot after updates that things
went belly up.  Normally that means the driver update went bad, but I did
everything I could to wipe out the nvidia drivers, then reinstall an older
version, etc.  No dice.  Even booting from a USB stick with Ubuntu on it
failed to light up.

So I've been shopping online for a new graphics card.  I was thinking of
getting 8gb or 12gb until I saw the prices, so now looking in the 4-6gb
range.  Apparently none exist anywhere..  I've never seen the shelves so
empty before.  Canada Computers' website was embarrassing bad.  Amazon has
next to nothing useful.  Newegg isn't much better.

All I want is Linux support (obviously), at least two DisplayPorts
(preferable v1.4 or better), and at least 4GB RAM.  And costing less than
my house.

I'm leaning towards the GIGABYTE Radeon RX 5500.. which is weird for me as
I usually go with Nvidia, but apparently AMD is better for Linux (I didn't
know that before).

But to say that shopping this morning has been a very frustrating
experience..  just, wow.