[kwlug-disc] Learning Javascript

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Sat Mar 13 15:04:58 EST 2021

> I'm also looking to learn a new language.  As start, I've decided on
> Dart/Flutter.
>
> I don't know Javascript, and I've only added few functions via simple
> cut/paste of existing code.  At least on the part I was working on,
> you define function, and it is triggered when some event happens.

Focusing remark on

>   I don't like "callback" really.

you have no choice.

Everything around us has been made with functions and closures. Give
someone a function to call you back, and they call it a callback. Phrase
"Observables and Promises are fancy callbacks" I've heard in pure form
from Rust guy. Precisely. It comes from Lisp and builds the future in
Rust. We either do assembly with jumps, or we do callbacks.

Granted, I love to consume cakes (Observables and Promises) instead of
straight sugar (callbacks).

Not loving and groking callbacks is not an option -- debugging becomes
nuts :) . Yet, there is not need to take it pure all the time.