[kwlug-disc] Awesome laptop concept

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 13:00:01 EDT 2021

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 10:26 AM Steve Izma <sizma at golden.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 01:22:12AM -0400, Ron Singh wrote:
> > Subject: Re: [kwlug-disc] Awesome laptop concept
> >
> > I have pestered these people at least 3 times to find a way to embrace a
> > TRACKPOINT-equipped keyboard. No dice, no response.
> > My soul dies every day knowing that this is my heir-apparent to
> > the classic Thinkpads, but always out of reach, 'cause no
> > trackpoint.
> > Weep with me.
>
> Hi Ron,
>
> I will, indeed. The Framework laptop looks very good in all other
> respects, so I'll be keeping an eye on it.
>
> I've been using the Ultimate Hacking Keyboard for the last year
> or so -- it's a split keyboard meant for typing everything
> without your fingers leaving the home row (so it has no
> out-of-reach function-key row). When I ordered it two years ago I
> included the trackpoint option, but that took a long time to
> develop and I only received it last week. Scroll down on their
> home page: <https://ultimatehackingkeyboard.com/>. Obviously it's
> a module that will only work on a split keyboard. For this kind
> of thing to work for a laptop, I think it would need to be a
> tablet-like design with a detachable, split keyboard.
>
> The UHT keyboard, and all other split keyboards I've seen, are
> too bulky and heavy to be conveniently portable, unfortunately.
> In all other respects, the UHT is so well built that it will
> probably last seven generations.
>
>     -- Steve

Steve, howdy. That UHK looks real fine, been thinking of getting me
something along those lines as I detest using mice, but don't mind being
off the home row.
There is a local boy who does this:
https://ergodox-ez.com/
His name is Erez Zuckerman, the EZ comes from his initials I suppose.
I don't own his products not have a vested interest in his company, but
man, the ideals represented by his keyboards are quite awesome.
Been spreading the word of his products YT content providers for a couple
of years now to promote an awesome piece of engineering from a local
firm(in Dundas if I recall correctly).
If I ever go back to using a desktop, that MoonLander Mark I is on the menu.

Ron