[kwlug-disc] recommendation for home router

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Jul 14 13:30:43 EDT 2021

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 1:18 PM Doug Moen <doug at moens.org> wrote:
> My Belkin "Linksys" router is acting weird, so I plan to replace it.
> The Belkin software is pretty bad, and new hardware would allow me to
> use the "wifi 6" in my new laptop.
>
> So I'd like a recommendation for some decent hardware I could replace it with,
> and some easy to use open source firmware that works with the hardware.
>
> It's a basic home network with wifi and a few ethernet devices. Nothing too
> fancy, I don't need enterprise features.

I have been using OpenWRT for many years.

Recently, I replaced my main router with a used Linksys WRT1900AC v2, which
also runs OpenWRT, and I have  been happy with it.

Mind you, I don't know what WiFi 6 is, and therefore don't use it, nor
know if that
router has it or not.

Other similar routers are the Linksys WRT1900ACS (identical hardware to the v2),
and the WRT3200ACM, which has a faster CPU.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin