[kwlug-disc] Leading Linux Distros going to remove Chromium from their Official Repositories

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Sat Jan 23 22:46:21 EST 2021

I have always had multiple browsers available on my computer, I prefer to have a choice.
Since I'm degoogling, I plan to switch from chrome to ungoogled-chromium via flathub.

> These days I am
> concerned that Chrome will go the AOSP route and systematically make
> its open source component more and more useless.

I don't think that Google as a whole has any plan or intent to do this. They would have to make the web itself proprietary, in a way that can't be duplicated by open source, so that web sites only work if you have Chrome. Proprietary audio/video codecs have historically been one trend towards making the web proprietary, but Google has been fighting against this by developing a series of high quality patent free codecs. Flash was another proprietary web component, but Apple and the other "big evil" internet corporations have killed Flash as well. Which is good for the open web.

Web browser standards are controlled by the big 4: Apple, Google, Microsoft, Mozilla. New web features are developed by committees consisting primarily of reps from the big 4, under the umbrella and rules of the W3C, who blesses and publishes the standards. The new features are implemented in open source. Everything is open source. I'm closely following some of the W3C standards, and I think the system is working well.