[kwlug-disc] Leading Linux Distros going to remove Chromium from their Official Repositories

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat Jan 23 22:02:04 EST 2021

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 10:37:32PM -0500, L.D. Paniak wrote:

> I never really understood chromium as it is...
>
> If I wanted Google in my browsing experience, I should use Chrome.
> Otherwise, I thought chromium should be just a solid webkit/blink(?) web
> browser free of any outside attachments.

I do not want Google or Chrome in my browsing experience, but I do
(did) want Microsoft Teams for work. Teams has a Linux client that is
terrible and in some ways unusable. Because Chromium was very similar
to Chrome and Chrome is well supported, it worked well, whereas
Firefox and Falkon did not.

I do not like Chromium that much, and it is clear that Google is
systematically murdering its competition (except for Edge?), but
Chromium was the least worst way to get my work done. These days I am
concerned that Chrome will go the AOSP route and systematically make
its open source component more and more useless.

- Paul

--
Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org
Blog: http://pnijjar.freeshell.org