[kwlug-disc] laptops with Linux preinstalled

Ronald Barnes ron at ronaldbarnes.ca
Sun Feb 28 01:45:21 EST 2021

Ron Singh wrote on 2021-02-27 6:14 p.m.:

> Personally, when the deals comes back up again, I will pop for a 4K 100%
> gamut display and big up the fonts by some 150% which will give me about
> a 2.5x increase in actual real estate and not kill my eyes. Well, we
> will test that theory when I try Kubuntu on said unit Tues next week. I
> am starting to feel left out when the world is using these new platforms
> and I am still on the older stuff.

I am feeling the same about always being "on older stuff". My Thinkpad
was a purchase for my KW area visit - in 2016.

Also, Ron, I'm very curious about your KDE experience with whatever
modern display hardware you throw at it. I'm a dedicated KDE user.

However, may I suggest KDEneon?  It's Ubuntu 20.04 plus KDE from the KDE
crew themselves, so one can choose "stable" or "dev" and get *much*
earlier access to KDE goodies from an official source.

i.e. I'm really, *really* liking what I'm seeing with Plasma 5.21 for
the past week or two. Kubuntu probably won't get that 'til, when, 21.04
or 21.10?

Thanks in advance!

rb