[kwlug-disc] laptops with Linux preinstalled

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 21:14:26 EST 2021

William, keep this url handy --
https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/uwaterlooca/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-p/ThinkPad-P17/p/22WSP17P7N1

See the model # 20SQS01P00 @ $2089? I was able to pick that model us for
$1880 about a month ago on a Lenovo "family day" promo blitz for my wife
for the same reason you cite:-)  These deals show up every 2-3 months.

Note the URL has "uwaterloo" in it, but anyone can buy it at that price.
Just be vewy vewy quiet about it:-)

I did pop for the warranty upgrade to 3 years for some 120 dollars extra,
but that's about it.
It's running Ubuntu Mate 20.04.2 for Zoom sessions and the like.
The screen ain't too bad, 1080P 300nits IPS with an acceptable 72% NTSC
color gamut.   No scaling up required!

It's heavy, about 8lbs, but it only moves from floor to floor once a day,
so no biggie. It is truly built like a tank and a decent slim-tip charging
port, not that uber-fragive USB-C thing which has a PD of 100W anyway. The
P17 comes with a 170W or a 230W AC adapter depending on config. My pelvic
partner's unit came with a 170W.

Personally, when the deals comes back up again, I will pop for a 4K 100%
gamut display and big up the fonts by some 150% which will give me about a
2.5x increase in actual real estate and not kill my eyes. Well, we will
test that theory when I try Kubuntu on said unit Tues next week. I am
starting to feel left out when the world is using these new platforms and I
am still on the older stuff.

Highly recommended.

Thanks,

Ron S.