[kwlug-disc] laptops with Linux preinstalled

Ron Singh ronsingh149 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 13:36:19 EST 2021

I detest trackpads and love the trackpoint except when I have to use a
graphical app and a mouse comes into play there.

In Ubuntu/Mint 20.x, I found the trackpad/trackpoint to have poor
acceleration control(as in none) even after playing around with the slider
bars to adjust things. Laptop is my daughter's T560.
The main dev with the Xfce project suggested I mess around with the data
tables dealing with mouse movements, which is way past the ability of my
monkey brain.
Mint's website suggests that I rip out the <libinput> package and try the
<synaptic> package and as a last resort, toss the both the <synaptic>
package and the <libinput> package and try the <evdev> package. Eureka! My
daughter loved me again. Problem solved.

I use real old T420/T520/X220 as my dailies and had the same issue as
above, the <evdev> package fixed it for me.
This issue only happened in Ubu 20.04.0 and 20.04.1, not the 16.4.x
editions. I have not done the 20.04.2 point release update yet.

In Synaptic,

remove -- xserver-xorg-input-libinput
install -- xserver-xorg-input-evdev

By remove, I mean "remove", *not* "complete removal".

FWIW.

Thanks,

Ron S.