[kwlug-disc] Collecting opinions about chat and mail console clients

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Tue Feb 2 13:02:52 EST 2021

On Tue, Feb 02, 2021 at 12:14:02PM -0500, Mikalai Birukou via kwlug-disc wrote:

> - what email experience in console you find best?

I enjoy mutt for my email. It took a lot of getting used to, but it is
the best way I've found to deal with any volume of mail. The downside is
HTML email kind of sucks (you can have preprocessors make a plain-text
version, but the results are hit and miss).

> - what chat experience in console you find best?

Pretty much everybody I chat with now is on Signal, with a few
stragglers via SMS/RCS. So not much in portable text-based options
there.

irssi was nice when I idled in IRC a lot. Switched to weechat as it
allowed a split server/client model, but never ended up getting that set
up correctly.

Gone are the days when you could get everything working with libpurple,
so I haven't bothered trying to re-unify everything into a single
client.

--
Chris Irwin

email:   chris at chrisirwin.ca