[kwlug-disc] The Open Technology Fund is a front of the U.S. government.

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Fri Dec 10 22:30:24 EST 2021

On Fri, Dec 10, 2021 at 10:24:44PM -0500, Chris Frey wrote:
> It is more of a cautionary tale to not let myself
> get sidtracked from potentially useful technology by government FUD.

Let me add a quick technical example.

In the early days, DES was modified by, if I recall, by the NSA.
Math and security experts at the time didn't know why it was done.

Later on, they understood that what the government did actually
strengthened the cypher.

What can look suspiscious at first can turn out not to be.  But those
experts at the time had no solid reason to trust the changes until
they gained full understanding.

- Chris