[kwlug-disc] The Open Technology Fund is a front of the U.S. government.

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Fri Dec 10 21:13:14 EST 2021

I'll quote text from below, so as to put emphasis on steps, ordering
them by importance.

Quote: "I don't know why it is important that we all be cautious
regarding Mint Press or Russia in particular."

The caution is not about Russia or Mint Press in particular. I point
everyone's attention at rhetoric that is toxic. Resulting total distrust
kills any ability to create anything positive.

It is no coincidence that USSR with many universities and high education
rates produced almost no good stuff. It is not due to lack of
"entrepreneurship", although criminal charges for it don't help. Mostly
its this mistrustful, no-future, gloomy mindset that won't let your
brain be creative. May be the most attractive/illustrative story can be
making atomic bomb in GULAG, when all documents were present, those
stolen from yankies.

With USSR it is also insightful to compare different generations, cause
there were changes in how this toxic mindset has been pressed into
people, giving stark marks and ground for comparison. For myself, my
grandfather and my father were engineers, and I have many stories to
tell about how you kill natural positive productivity of human beings.
It is also not a coincidence that I am not there, wanna keep background
that helps my brain to produce, instead of having a background that
sucks your energy dry.

Quote paragraph that starts with "Do you trust Signal? ..."

I think I've read details. Moxie wants to have a total control of how
this thing is delivered. Note a need for control, need to a fault. And
we may assume that this want of control comes as a reaction to mistrust.

It may be an overreaching impression, but it seems that security folks
have this mistrust dialed a bit too much, as a result there is this
chilling effect on results. Looking from a historic perspective, Moxie
and co are commendable on bending designs towards usability, yet, some
architectural nuances feel like they were internally chained by
something. And shape of these chains is fear and mistrust.

Mutually assured mistrust? Of course, how in this emotional state, in
this noisy brain state, can you come up with the third, almost trivial
solution to federation dilemma, which I've presented last time.

Ya. Similarly, to how Julian Treasure talks about sound scapes, and a
need to pay attention to environment impact on your brain. Similarly, we
should talk about emotional charge in environment of ideas.

Let's discharge your mistrust a bit by pointing to the case to release
info around gov pressuring Signal. They indeed don't collect still
available metadata, walking the talk. This is trustworthy.

Quote, "Do you trust Tor? ..."

In the article there was this mention of researches blah-blah.
Surrounding paragraphs make it sound that this is all DoD and there is
some secret dealing going on. While, when we followed all news at the
time, Tor folks were really shocked to learn about funky exploit that
some university guys did. Tinting all of this story with words that
there are spooks all over, done in the article, is what regularly has
been done in USSR, Putin's Russia, Lukashenko's speeches. And my guess
that article induces mistrust in Tor with this setup seems correct,
cause I've seen it many times by now. I've also seen a demoralizing
chilling effect of so induced total mistrust.

Quote, "... But that doesn't matter when they can point to the US
themselves to support a reported fact."

Unfortunately, you also ingest a spin.

I too had an impression, that I have been given data, but it was with
the spin. For too long, for way too long.

Quote, "... revelation that US Gov, USAGM and OTF are linked".

This is precisely an art of spin. If you've ever read OTF docs, you
would've seen words about US government. Basically this article adds no
new information. It is something like "the Sun is rising on the East,
isn't this horrible" spin, making it feel like "revelation".

I may guess that companies wanted to government to pay for some useful
tech developments, but austerity folks can't allow budget money for
human benefit, hence, the whole BS with twisted goals. I read the docs,
its horse shit, reminding the worse of USSR.

Having said that, let's note that constitution as a restriction on
government is the great idea. Great tool/approach. So, there is no need
to emotionally give up. Ya.

Quote, "Do you trust governments".

Do you remember grounding of Morales' jet by US gov and spooks? I'd add
grounding of RyanAir jet by Lukashenko's mafia as being of similar ilk.
Both are not proud moments.

Quote, "None of this means that I want Signal or Tor to go away."

But the article contains many-many emotional bombshells. When you give
such thing to friends, disarm emotional bombs with explicit statements,
saying that some little thing is enticing, while the rest should be ignored.

At the same time, if you've felt a need to share the whole feeling, I am
saying: take it easy, sky is not falling. The spin that robs your brain
of productive power via injection of mistrust is the purpose of this
article. I personally want to see all flowers bloom, but this emotional
attack stifles your roots, hence, I chime in.