[kwlug-disc] The Open Technology Fund is a front of the U.S. government.

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Fri Dec 10 11:47:00 EST 2021

>> If you have been pushed into a particular thought by this article. Do
>> articulate it here, with chained quotes. Either you will find missing links
>> yourself, cause that is one kind of fallacies used here, or, we'll tell you
>> missing events around Tor that are miss-characterized here.
> I'm not sure what kind of thought you mean, but the funding connections
> were interesting to me.

What particular connections have you found interesting? I am asking so
that you retrace precisely each jump of our human cognition to note if
particular step was in fact grounded in objective reality, or is an
example of our biases (bugs of our human cognition).

It may feel like nitpicking, but debugging is precisely that, diving
into details of details, and testing your hypothesis.

If we don't inspect details, yet are still lured into general level,
then in this aesthetics I already gave you a connection: start of this
December there is a huge attack on Tor in Russia, and article is dated
December 6th. Just want to point how rhetorical tools from an article
can only bring distrust, feeling of nihilism, apathy: precisely the
state dictator wants his populace to be in.

Some countries' lower vaccination rate in documented presence of
vaccines is the result of such mistrustful state of minds. Not voicing
helpful comments when "people start to fly with martians" accumulates in
time. And when anything non-trivial comes, like pandemic, there simply
not enough time to learn to separate facts from fiction.

> It doesn't mean that the technology can't be useful.  The internet itself
> was funded by the US, DARPA.  But it's also useful to know where things
> come from.  It will mean less surprise should things take an odd turn
> in the future.

Plurals, no specifics, and expressed feeling of doubt -- all of this is
an emotional jackpot. Getting out of it is only via meticulous questioning.

To your general (of course related to emotion) statement, quote, "

It will mean less surprise should things take an odd turn
in the future.

"

I say that "those things" are not going to "turn odd in the future".

Let's note that we have no idea what "turn odd" means to you. I see that
article pushes human psyche to fill the gaps, opening emotionally
charged gaps. This reminds a cold reading technique, mechanism in human
head is probably the same.