[kwlug-disc] The Open Technology Fund is a front of the U.S. government.

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Thu Dec 9 23:59:01 EST 2021

> The Open Technology Fund (OTF) is one of the most influential and
> celebrated organizations in the hacking and internet freedom
> communities. Well over two billion
> <https://www.usagm.gov/networks/otf/> people globally use OTF-produced
> software, including communications app Signal and web browser Tor,
> services that are specifically marketed to privacy-conscious consumers
> looking to circumvent government censorship and surveillance. Yet its
> close links to the U.S. national security state raise many worrying
> questions about whether the world is making a mistake by trusting the
> organization and its products.
>
> https://www.mintpressnews.com/the-open-technology-fund-makes-privacy-apps-staffed-spies/279147/
> <https://www.mintpressnews.com/the-open-technology-fund-makes-privacy-apps-staffed-spies/279147/>

TLDR; If you are hooked on this kind, detox

Ok. Let's make zeroth reply within article's aesthetic of implications
and suggestions for logical fallacies:

a) Is this a hit piece on Tor, timed right when it is getting blocked in
Russia?

b) Is this a hit piece in retaliation to new sanctions imposed on
Lukashenko's regime in Belarus?

Personally, I am insulted by some sections. Insult has the following
form. Lukashenko or any other dictator, when faced with populace just
says into everyone's faces that these people of their own countries have
no free will, no desires, and if they do anything against, it can only
be a result of influence from the outside. Very dehumanizing rhetoric
that allows police on the street to do inhumane things to fellow citizens.

And we haven't even started talking about perspective of American
reader. Note how grenade is supposed to through shrapnel in all
directions, similarly these kinds of articles throw emotional bombs so
that meticulous dislodging takes way more time than it took to write
this pack of logical fallacies, praying on our human biases.

I'd be honest. I used to be hooked myself on these things, from RT, till
2013, till Ukraine events. Then heavy dissonance hit: objective truth
from reality on one side, and the likes of aforementioned article on
another.

If you have been pushed into a particular thought by this article. Do
articulate it here, with chained quotes. Either you will find missing
links yourself, cause that is one kind of fallacies used here, or, we'll
tell you missing events around Tor that are miss-characterized here.

Seriously, either detox from this, or, get Russian/Cuban/Venezuelan
passport, and denounce citizenship(s) elsewhere. Else, if we are
inconsistent, we let lies in places, poisoning shared environment.