[kwlug-disc] Git study group at KPL

Hubert Chathi hubert at uhoreg.ca
Sat Aug 14 23:15:26 EDT 2021

On Sat, 14 Aug 2021 20:11:51 +0000, "Mingde (Matthew) Zeng" <matthewzmd at posteo.net> said:

> The author jwiegley, John Wiegley, I immediately recognized this
> name. He's a well respected person in the Emacs community who most
> famously wrote the use-package library.

He's not just well respected in the Emacs community.  He's the Emacs
maintainer as of 2015.

> There're many great Git learning tools discussed here, I'd like to
> share a Git advance tool that gives both the flexibility you'd expect
> from a git CLI and the easiness to use from a GUI: the magit library
> in Emacs: https://magit.vc/

I second the recommendation of magit for Emacs users.  It looks like
there is vimagit for vim users and neogit for neovim that are supposed
to be similar, but I've never tried them.

And, speaking of John Wiegley, here's a video of Wiegley demoing magit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-k-lkilbEs

I think that I use only a tiny bit of magit's features, but it's already
great.  I only watched the first 15 minutes or so of that video and
already learned some things about magit.

Hubert