[kwlug-disc] Git study group at KPL

Mingde (Matthew) Zeng matthewzmd at posteo.net
Sat Aug 14 16:11:51 EDT 2021

Chris Frey <cdfrey at foursquare.net> writes:

> On Sat, Aug 14, 2021 at 09:40:46AM -0400, Doug Moen wrote:
>> This is how I use git: https://xkcd.com/1597/
>
> Oh man... that's funny cause it's true.  Especially the hover comment:
>
> 	Just wait through a few minutes of "It's really pretty simple,
> 	just think of branches as..." and eventually you'll learn the
> 	commands that will fix everything.
>
> Those are almost the exact words that come out of my mouth when I try
> to help people. :-)
>
> But if anyone can't make it to the class, and are still interested in
> learning git, I always recommend the book "Git from the Bottom Up"
> which you can find online here:
>
> 	https://jwiegley.github.io/git-from-the-bottom-up/

The author jwiegley, John Wiegley, I immediately recognized this name. He's a well respected person in the Emacs community who most famously wrote the use-package library.

There're many great Git learning tools discussed here, I'd like to share a Git advance tool that gives both the flexibility you'd expect from a git CLI and the easiness to use from a GUI: the magit library in Emacs: https://magit.vc/

Found a pretty decent video demo online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQO7F2Q9DwA

It really is a killer feature that I'd recommend to anyone who has some knowledge of git, it can be the reason to learn emacs. It handles the most complicated git commands in a super easy and intuitive way, including but not limited to complicated rebasing, branching, cherry picking, and conflict resolution.

One feature I use a lot that's not mentioned in the video demo above is the easiness to *partially* stage/unstage line changes to commit them. I cannot emphasize more how useful this is when I have to dissect my hundreds of lines of code into multiple commits or when I only want to test changes partially, and stash some that I'd like to care about later. It saves me so much time.

> Git... it's a beautiful thing.
>
> - Chris

Mingde (Matthew) Zeng