[kwlug-disc] answering questions for complete strangers..

Sat Aug 14 13:36:06 EDT 2021

> On Aug 14, 2021, at 1:25 PM, CrankyOldBugger <crankyoldbugger at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So I was in KW Surplus earlier today, in the little electronics section with the switches and the Arduino add-ons, etc., when some guy asked me "is there anyplace else around here where I can get more of this stuff?"
>
> I really couldn't give him an answer, other than "there used to be a cool place on Lancaster but they changed it".
>
> So.. to answer the question for my own curiosity, does anyone know of any other stores in the KW area that would sell oddball electronics stuff?

Sayal Electronics, across the street from the Toyota plant: 1040 Fountain St N, Cambridge, ON N3E 1A3. Their prices are higher (stupidly so on some items), but they’re local and have a LOT, including mechanical bits, tools, 3D printing stuff, educational kits/toys and of course, components.

Orion Electronics on Lancaster I think is (finally) dead and closed. They hung on for-freaking-ever, reinventing themselves several times.

There is (was?) also Environmental Quescence, run by David Schlievert. He used to operate out of is house on River Rd., but he’s moved, I think to Guelph. His website is a bit of a mess, but email him, he’s got so much stuff, he’s exactly like how KW Surplus used to be in its heyday: https://eq-trm.com <https://eq-trm.com/>. LOTS of mechanical, pneumatic stuff too, generally for automation. You won’t find Arduino-esque stuff there, but damn near anything else you might want.

-A.