[kwlug-disc] going slightly script in script in dockerfile

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Sat Aug 14 10:32:29 EDT 2021

On Sat, Aug 14, 2021 at 10:16:36AM -0400, Mikalai Birukou via kwlug-disc wrote:
> I've asked about your opinion about use of `node -e <js-commands>` in a bash
> script.
>
> Let me ask your opinion about use of `bash -c <bash-commands>` in
> dockerfile's ENTRYPOINT directive.

If you look at the ENTRYPOINT docs, one form is already a shell form,
so it's running a shell for you, apparently.

More imporant than whether bash is used, is that if you don't have
your own init-style process inside the container, you may wish to use
the --init option on the docker-run command line, depending on your
use case, or if your entry point command spawns child process or not.
I don't think bash will suffice for that.

- Chris