[kwlug-disc] Topics I'd like to see...

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Wed Aug 11 13:05:56 EDT 2021

On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 11:08:54AM -0400, Chris Irwin via kwlug-disc wrote:
> From people I've spoken to, the "solution" seems to be "only use containers
> you made yourself", and "have your CI infrastructure rebuild them every
> night to ensure they're up to date", which seems like massively more work
> compared to running `dnf upgrade`

When you mix this with Docker Swarm, you start thinking of containers
not as small virtual machines, but rather "services" or individual
programs in themselves.  Across many actual VM's spread across many
containers, you're not managing processes anymore, but the services
in container-sized units, which lets you run as many containers as
you need, scaling up and down, and "upgrading" without any downtime
(as long as Docker itself doesn't cough up a hairball).

- Chris