[kwlug-disc] Fw: Bill C-10 is still broken: Vote No

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Sat Aug 7 11:05:23 EDT 2021

I admit I haven't been following this. I read the Michael Geist post provided by Jason. In it, Geist supports the aims of the legislation, which is to increase discoverability of Canadian content by Canadian internet users. However, Geist claims that C-10 will have the opposite of its intended effect, and he doesn't give a convincing reason why this would be so. His arguments are fear based:
1. Any change from the status quo will be worse for Canadian artists. Because change is bad.
2. The rules for what is Canadian content are complex. Therefore, indie artists will fall between the cracks.
3. The new rules come from the government, and government regulation is bad. ("Bill C-10 would seek to place the government and the CRTC in command of the algorithm.")

I think that #3 is Geist's primary concern. Here's a Geist post about the April version of C-10, denouncing it as a threat to free speech. <https://www.michaelgeist.ca/2021/04/freedom-of-expression-under-attack-the-liberal-government-moves-to-have-the-crtc-regulate-all-user-generated-content/>

His first link is to a post by Google, wherein Google opposes the regulation. It is natural that Google would be opposed, because Google wants full control over the algorithm. For Google, any loss of control must be fought. But I can't give any weight to Google's desire not to be subject to government regulation.

Doug Moen.