[kwlug-disc] PinePhone

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Thu Oct 8 17:33:36 EDT 2020

About PinePhone: https://www.pine64.org/pinephone/
> I noticed you included a link to the Pinephone in the chat of
> Monday's meeting. It looks life a very interesting device. If I
> understand the features correctly, one could access linux
> (presumably through a shell) by connecting a keyboard to it or
> through ssh and its ethernet connection. Do you have any
> experience with this, or care to express an opinion on it?

I haven't touched it. But all of that sounds very reasonable and
down-to-earth, hence, my own excitement, which I shared by sharing link :) .

Physical switches!

Multi-OS! I've also learned from them about https://postmarketos.org/
which sounds cool, and I'll try that on my own dusting devices, when
time permits.

Once I have a hack for generic Android and v1 for desktops of our 3NWeb
client, I'll get this phone, and will be porting my code into it
(actually, it may just run, modulo phone-oriented approach to UI).
Seriously. Its similar processor as in their laptop, while I need a
phone anyway :) .

Other consideration. At $199 price point it may be possible to think
about delivering branded units with particular software on them. And it
may be a real business opportunity. It feels that $199 is not a charity
here, yet is reasonable.