[kwlug-disc] OT: upside down subtitles

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Fri May 29 08:07:07 EDT 2020

> Hi LUG,I thought I would mention this since I ran into something a bit
> strange. I started (bright and early) working on a video project for
> someone this morning adding subtitles to some video shot on a phone at
> 1920x1080.
>
> When I watched the video in Totem/GNOME the video appeared to
> initially flip from upside down to right side up (it happened very
> quickly). My subtitles, however, were upside down on the top of the
> video. Watching the same video in VLC everything appeared completely
> normal (no initial flipping of the video, and the subtitles were
> normal at the bottom).

Can it be some metadata. With pictures I find that you can rotate
picture in window's pic's viewer. But it won't be rotated, when opened
in ubuntu. Also, rotated so pictures, when uploaded to sites (e.g.
Kijiji). Recently on ubuntu I get a weird question about orientation
when I open them. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯