[kwlug-disc] OT: upside down subtitles

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Fri May 29 07:08:58 EDT 2020

Hi LUG,I thought I would mention this since I ran into something a bit
strange. I started (bright and early) working on a video project for
someone this morning adding subtitles to some video shot on a phone at
1920x1080.

When I watched the video in Totem/GNOME the video appeared to
initially flip from upside down to right side up (it happened very
quickly). My subtitles, however, were upside down on the top of the
video. Watching the same video in VLC everything appeared completely
normal (no initial flipping of the video, and the subtitles were
normal at the bottom).

I also tried copying the .srt file to other home-made videos and they
all displayed normally in both VLC and Totem. I suspect Totem is
actually correct and the one video was initially shot in an upside
down fashion. Have others had experience with this before? I'm
wondering if I need to re-shoot that entire video or if there's a
KDENLive way to fix the "video flip" without having the video upside
down?

Charles