[kwlug-disc] Maintained distro for very old CPUs

jason.eckert jason.eckert at gmail.com
Mon May 25 12:16:19 EDT 2020

Gentoo - but I'd recommend NetBSD for older hardware!Sent from my Samsung device running Android (basically Linux in drag)
-------- Original message --------From: Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc <kwlug-disc at kwlug.org> Date: 2020-05-25  08:15  (GMT-05:00) To: kwlug-disc at kwlug.org Cc: Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> Subject: [kwlug-disc] Maintained distro for very old CPUs I have some ancient AMD Geode ALIX boards. They are x86 compatible (Ithink they may be i586 compatible, but maybe not i686) but neitherDebian nor Ubuntu will run on them because the kernels don't have theright support compiled in. So I am looking for another distro that (a)was not abandoned in 2003 and (b) will run adequately on thishardware. I only need commandline Linux, but having maintainedpackages (eg OpenSSH) is important. The systems have compact flashcards, not real hard drives. They come with 256MB RAM. What are my best options? So far it seems that NetBSD might runon them. Another possibility is Tiny Core Linux. Are there any betteroptions? Obviously I cannot make too many demands on them, but giventhat one of these was running pfSense for over five years they arecapable of running a few things well.- Paul-- Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org Blog: http://pnijjar.freeshell.org_______________________________________________kwlug-disc mailing listkwlug-disc at kwlug.orghttps://kwlug.org/mailman/listinfo/kwlug-disc_kwlug.org