[kwlug-disc] Maintained distro for very old CPUs

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Mon May 25 08:15:20 EDT 2020

I have some ancient AMD Geode ALIX boards. They are x86 compatible (I
think they may be i586 compatible, but maybe not i686) but neither
Debian nor Ubuntu will run on them because the kernels don't have the
right support compiled in. So I am looking for another distro that (a)
was not abandoned in 2003 and (b) will run adequately on this
hardware. I only need commandline Linux, but having maintained
packages (eg OpenSSH) is important. The systems have compact flash
cards, not real hard drives. They come with 256MB RAM.

What are my best options? So far it seems that NetBSD might run
on them. Another possibility is Tiny Core Linux. Are there any better
options? Obviously I cannot make too many demands on them, but given
that one of these was running pfSense for over five years they are
capable of running a few things well.

- Paul

--
Events: https://feeds.off-topic.kwlug.org