[kwlug-disc] laptops with Linux preinstalled

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Fri Jun 5 10:49:39 EDT 2020

On Thu, Jun 04, 2020 at 12:34:57PM -0400, Doug Moen wrote:

>Nowadays, there are many options for buying laptops with Linux
>preinstalled and officially supported by the laptop manufacturer.

Another option is Purism.

https://puri.sm/

Their laptops are *slightly* aged (seventh-generation Intel vs 10th is
just coming out), but they went through considerable effort to create an
attractive product. They tried to ensure every piece of hardware
respects user freedom.

* Physical hardware kill switch for webcam + Mic (not just a shutter)
* Physical hardware kill switch for Wireless (Wifi + Bluetooth)
* Coreboot, so no big/closed BIOS or UEFI code
* Lobotomized Intel's IME

That said, their products do include a significant price premium for all
those benefits.

They have a USB token that helps you verify your laptop hasn't been
tampered with at boot time:

I believe they'll sell you a pre-encrypted laptop, and ship the
encryption keys/tokens to a different address using a different shipping
method, use tamper-evident tape on packaging, put glitter nail polish on
all screws, and send you PGP-encrypted photos of everything before it
ships to help detect package interdiction/tampering... So if you're
extremely paranoid about getting a trusted device, I'm not sure there is
any other option :)

Personally, I'm using an used T460 I picked up off kijiji. I've got
years of muscle memory using a trackpoint, and my threat model skews
more toward "stolen laptop" vs "black helicopters out to get me".

That said, Purism are also working on a phone, which is also very
interesting.

--
Chris Irwin

email:   chris at chrisirwin.ca