[kwlug-disc] Question about transplanting linux system

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Sun Apr 26 11:40:52 EDT 2020

I have a system with two drives, and I want to move linux (ubuntu here)
from one drive to another.

Context:

  - Original drive is a fixture created by RAID card. Card messes up
configurations every several weeks, so a want to use a different drive
on a different physical connection (yes, sata slot from DVD in this old
IBM System X server :) ).

  - I suspect that dd copy won't work, cause new drive (ssd) doesn't go
in place of the original one. It goes into a new location, and
grub+fstab settings would be different.

  - dd takes time, and I want to keep machine operational during the move.

  - I already installed ubuntu on new drive, hoping to reconstruct
original file tree in a new place by copying on filesystem level (vs
low-level dd).

Question:

  - How can you do this copying of original system onto new system?

  - Should it by rsync or tar pack& unpack? What flags to use? Is tar
complain about skipping socket is safe in system backup for future recovery.

  - Can there be a catch in this approach?

Thank you.