[kwlug-disc] FAANG-free list

Andrew Sullivan Cant acant at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Sat Apr 25 17:00:59 EDT 2020

Paul,

Nice list! Always good to see the options repeated.

I already use a bunch of the things you suggestion. (i.e., DuckDuckGo,
Firefox, OpenStreetMap)

Gmail is still my email service, because I am lazy, but I did more to
using my own domain in front of it a few year ago. At least I am not
promoting gmail, and I can switch services more easily in the future.
(Fastmail and protonmail seem interesting, but I would kind of list
something that is in Canada.)
Buuuut, I don't know anyway to do this without have to use a credit card
to pay for domain name.

For anyone looking to use OpenStreetMas for navigation I have had good
success with 2 apps:
* Maps.me <https://maps.me/en/download/>
* OsmAnd <https://osmand.net/>

They are both open source, and OsmAnd can also be used to contribute
back to OSM.

Andrew