[kwlug-disc] FAANG-free walk

Doug Moen doug at moens.org
Sun Apr 19 13:59:45 EDT 2020

I'm not interested in PinePhone. They are focussed on Libre technology first and foremost, in the sense of the FSF "Respects your freedom" program (although they don't fully qualify for that certification). They aspire to support privacy and security, but that isn't their main focus.

I just researched private/secure smart phone alternatives. The best thing available, the one endorsed by Edward Snowden in fact, is GrapheneOS https://grapheneos.org If you read through their web site, the depth of knowledge that they display on how to make a smart phone secure and private (hardware and software) is very impressive.

GrapheneOS supports a limited set of Android phone hardware. The only phones that are fully supported, and that have the necessary hardware to support their security guarantees, are the Pixel 2 and 3. I do not believe PinePhone can match the security guarantees of a Pixel 3 running GrapheneOS.

iPhones are incapable of being fully secure and private by design (it conflicts with Apple's corporate interests). Apple does a good job in marketing the security and privacy of their phones, and they've fooled a lot of people. iPhones are also the farthest you can get from Libre, which is a different but related matter (you can't install software to make the phone secure and private).

If I were buying a new smart phone today, I'd get a Pixel 3 and then install GrapheneOS: https://grapheneos.org/install

Doug Moen.