[kwlug-disc] FAANG-free walk

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Sun Apr 19 13:03:48 EDT 2020

> > Do you turn off your cell (screen/flip) phone when you walk around? :)
>
> Yes. I keep it in airplane mode almost all of the time. No cell radio,
> bluetooth or GPS, but I do use wifi. If I want to do a web search or
> check my email, and I'm out of wifi range, I will briefly turn on the
> cell radio. These things are long established habits, so they don't
> seem like a burden or require a lot of thought. Airplane mode also
> saves me from spam phone calls and those national security alert
> things where the phone makes a loud noise design to provoke maximum
> anxiety until you acknowledge that a child has gone missing in Thunder
> Bay or that you should consider washing your hands. I'm done with that.
>
> There's more I could be doing. I could install a more secure and
> private Android distro (one that is fully degooglized). That's on my
> TODO list. I could power off my phone and store it in the fridge
> (faraday cage) when I'm not using it, as recommended by Edward
> Snowden, but I'm too lazy and/or internet-addicted to do that.

Having *true* GPS all the time is fine, cause it is a radio receiver
(assuming no spying app on the device).

Having some OS that doesn't have a feature of reporting WiFi, as WiFi
triangulation instead of cell tower triangulation, is also on my list :)
. And may be ensuring that device identifiers in WiFi and bluetooth, for
that matter, are also changed automagically, from time to time, to some
random values.