[kwlug-disc] Avoiding Infection ...

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun Apr 19 13:26:07 EDT 2020

>From another thread ...

(Hope Paul doesn't mind ...)

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 10:33 AM CrankyOldBugger <crankyoldbugger at gmail.com>
wrote:

> But to be honest, I am trying to stick to tap-only debit.

Me too. Walmart requires that you insert the card in their machine, and who
knows how many
did the same thing in the same machine.

And even with less trips, the limit of $100 for tap is exceeded. Saw on TV
that this limit will be
increased, but don't know if/when it happens/ed.

So the work around is to use disposable polyethylene gloves (the type used
for food preparation),
and pack the one card that will be used in a zip lock bag in my pocket.
Then the card can be
disinfected after I get home (or just leave it alone for 72 hours).

I went to Sobey's off of Fischer-Hallman the other day and they made me
> remove the gloves I was wearing before they'd let me in, despite the fact
> that I just put them on.  I had a bit of a terse chat with them and
> normally I would have just walked out but we needed groceries and all the
> other stores were closing for the day.  They said it was 'company policy'.
> So guess which company I won't be dealing with again...

I have no idea how this helps the staff or the customers? And what science
is that
based on?

I will be avoiding Sobey's too.

One thing about store staff being gloved..  they wear the same gloves for
> most of their shift, so any infection that they pick up, they carry around
> for the rest of the shift and spread it to everything they touch..

That is true too. We use those disposable gloves when we leave the car
until
we come back to the car, then take them off. They are either disposed, or
kept
for another store in the same trip, then disposed.

Everything that comes into the house is either quarantined for 3 days in a
box, or in
the basement, disinfected with wipes if it needs to go into the fridge, or
washed (like
fruit and vegetables).

And please wear a bandana or make your own cloth mask. It is not a sure
measure,
but something is better than nothing. The mask should decrease the
droplets, even
with the "snow fence effect".

There is even anecdotal evidence that this virus is spread with breath
alone (not just
cough).

Just like this choir found out
https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-29/coronavirus-choir-outbreak