[kwlug-disc] Our DNS has gone crazy

John Sellens jsellens at syonex.com
Wed Apr 15 14:17:36 EDT 2020

It looks like the DNS server settings for theworkingcentre.org
are inconsistent.

First:
    % host -t ns theworkingcentre.org
    theworkingcentre.org name server ns1.boltonsmith.com.
    theworkingcentre.org name server ns2.boltonsmith.com.

Currently, both those DNS servers say
    www.theworkingcentre.org has address 50.116.60.156

But whois says the nameservers for theworkingcentre.org are
    Name Server: NS10.BOLTONSMITH.COM
    Name Server: NS11.BOLTONSMITH.COM

If you ask them who the DNS servers are, they both say ns1 and ns2
    % host -t ns theworkingcentre.org  NS10.BOLTONSMITH.COM
    Using domain server:
    Name: NS10.BOLTONSMITH.COM
    Address: 69.90.54.20#53
    Aliases:

    theworkingcentre.org name server ns1.boltonsmith.com.
    theworkingcentre.org name server ns2.boltonsmith.com.

If you ask NS10 and NS11 for the address, they give you a different
answer then ns1 and ns2 do
    % host -t a theworkingcentre.org NS10.BOLTONSMITH.COM
    Using domain server:
    Name: NS10.BOLTONSMITH.COM
    Address: 69.90.54.20#53
    Aliases:

    theworkingcentre.org has address 172.104.10.158

twc58.dyn.theworkingcentre.org has address 99.250.122.149

So - make sure the domain registration has the correct DNS servers.
Should they be ns1/ns2 or ns10/ns11?

Next make sure the NS records in the DNS servers match what's
supposed to happen.  Currently NS10/NS11 tell you they aren't
authoritative.

Then, make sure the A records are correct.

Hope that helps!

John