[kwlug-disc] Videoconference testing -- please help

Jason Eckert jason.eckert at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 07:50:07 EDT 2020

Ah - yes, I see your point.
I think that is functional fixedness on my part because I'm living in MS
Teams right now. I looked at it from a "How do we take a complex system
that has many bells and whistles (chat, file hosting, 2-way screen sharing,
etc.) and make it less centralized and more end-to-end?" rather than "How
do we build a system that is end-to-end from the ground up, and then
potentially add other components to it?"  There'd still have to be
centralized key management (even mini blockchains would need centralized
components to work reliably in practice), but the other components could be
decentralized to the point where little is done by a central set of
servers. However, I wonder if we're at the point where designing a system
like that would be a) as fast, or b) as practically useful for the average
user given their equipment and the speeds/demands of their network
connection...