[kwlug-disc] Videoconference testing -- please help

Chris Frey cdfrey at foursquare.net
Fri Apr 10 22:58:00 EDT 2020

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 07:30:59AM -0400, Jason Eckert wrote:
> Agreed - but that sort of implementation would be costlier on the systems
> and network, and the commercial products out there are all about maximizing
> returns and profitability.
> If the open source community wanted to do it, well.... it could work if
> rethought properly :D

Where would the cost come in?  I think the majority of the cost in an
SFU web conference setup would be on the client's end, doing the
encryption and decryption (which, to be honest, they are probably
doing anyway, via WebRTC / HTTPS, in this case it would just be a
different key).

The server side would still be shuffling packets around, similarly sized too.

- Chris