[kwlug-disc] Linux Hacked For A Decade?

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Wed Apr 8 17:10:52 EDT 2020

On 2020-04-08 4:53 p.m., Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> Anyone saw this?
>
> Blackberry released a report about hacking tools targeting Linux for
> decades, by Chinese government linked hackers.
>
> The articles are devoid of technical detail ...
>
> https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywinder/2020/04/07/linux-security-chinese-state-hackers-have-compromised-holy-grail-targets-since-2012/
>
> https://www.thestar.com/business/2020/04/07/blackberry-uncovers-china-backed-hacking-campaign-on-linux-servers.html

I want to see substance. I found only, quote:

“We’re not suggesting that this is something entirely new and entirely
stand-alone, and undiscovered,” BlackBerry executive Eric Cornelius said
in a phone interview Tuesday.

Have they discovered a metasploit tool? Is it part of some FUD, as
BlackBerry moves in with their own "something secure, IoT and rainbows",
which was talked about at defense event at UofW this past fall?