[kwlug-disc] BBB impressions

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Mon Apr 6 23:02:40 EDT 2020

- BBB looks to work, at server under our control, which is part of "do
as you preach" in context of KWLUG and respect to privacy, etc.

- We may try something else on the server. My point, though, is that it
doesn't matter what we choose to install on a server, screen sharing
times number of participants will always require a server in a room with
good bandwidth (good starts with "g" :) ). I'll repeat myself again:
server rooms are not going anywhere, even in cloudy times.

- BBB let phoning in work. In fact I unmuted myself, spoke, muted, all
sitting on the phone. And phoned-in person shows with id from call
display. Cute.

- I want to point out that BBB install on webconference.kwlug.org was in
fact one line. Everything else useful that I did was setting up firewall
(sections in ufw's after.rules and before.rules) to harden access, and
harden ssh. So, for me this is an example how you, guys, may setup
server for your companies, ensuring confidentiality of communication, by
keeping everything on the server your company controls.

- Trying something else may require additional time investment. I'd
suggest for now to complete BBB installation at DataCity, so that we
compile points of configuration, inform DataCity of our findings as a
payment for using the server :) . Paul, I am sure we can count on having
this server for a long time.