[kwlug-disc] Docker repositories

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Tue Nov 19 16:49:53 EST 2019

Today is a very sad day; after a series of increasingly-unwise life
decisions it looks like I finally have to start using (and therefore
understanding) Docker.

My first question: Do I want to use the official Ubuntu packages
(docker.io) or the ones in the Docker repositories (docker-ce)?

My inclination is to stick with the Ubuntu repositories even though
the version of Docker will be older. My understanding is that
docker-ce bundles a lot of its own dependencies in the image.

Are there things in bleeding-edge Docker that I care about? Am I going
to get in trouble for trying to use the Ubuntu packaged Docker? At
this point I am just trying to run a single Docker image (that
somebody else made) on a physical machine running Ubuntu 18.04 .

- Paul

--
Get tech event listings: https://off-topic.kwlug.org/watcamp
Blog: http://pnijjar.freeshell.org