[kwlug-disc] Suggestion for a talk: Admin at scale: Salt, Docker, LXC

Mikalai Birukou mb at 3nsoft.com
Fri Nov 15 11:02:04 EST 2019

On remote command execution.

... Actually :) , Salt gives only this non-interactive mode (unless I am
missing something). If your command happens to be an analog of 'apt
upgrade -y' you may loose a machine on grub's update due to lack of
interactivity. (It's loosing machine, as in having to fix it manually.)

I wonder if same restriction to mass command execution apply elsewhere.

On 2019-11-15 10:42 a.m., CrankyOldBugger wrote:
> Well to be honest, I know nothing about Salt, so I'm not qualified to
> answer your question....  I must make sure to attend Mikalai's talk...
>

> On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 at 10:22, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc
> <kwlug-disc at kwlug.org <mailto:kwlug-disc at kwlug.org>> wrote:
>

>     Maybe it is good that I messed up and hit reply-all by accident?
>
>     Yes, a presentation on clusterSSH would be good. The next non-beginner
>     timeslot would be April. We might also pair you with Mikalai in March.
>     We could also slot you later.  Let me know your preference.
>
>     One question that comes up for me these days is whether clusterSSH can
>     do things that Salt cannot? I can use Salt to launch arbitrary
>     commands in parallel on my minions as well, I believe.  You do not
>     need to address that specifically in your talk but it is something I
>     wonder about.
>
>     - Paul
>

>     On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 10:14:59AM -0500, CrankyOldBugger wrote:
>     > Paul, I'm working on putting together a presentation on
>     clusterSSH, but I
>     > doubt that I would need more than a half hour for it. I'm not
>     ready yet (I
>     > need to build a small lab on my laptop first), but if you think
>     it's a
>     > worthy talk then let me know.
>     >
>     > Jeff
>     >
>     >
>     > On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 at 10:09, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc <
>     > kwlug-disc at kwlug.org <mailto:kwlug-disc at kwlug.org>> wrote:
>     >
>     > >
>     > > (Just to Mikalai)
>     > >
>     > > Great. I have been using Salt too and I think it will be a
>     good topic.
>     > > March is available, so I will slot you in. I am not sure it is a
>     > > beginner presentation, though.
>     > >
>     > > I have put up your abstract here. Let me know if it is
>     misleading or
>     > > you want it changed. https://kwlug.org/node/1191
>     > >
>     > > - Paul
>     > >
>     > >
>     > >
>     > > On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 01:18:18PM -0500, Mikalai Birukou via
>     kwlug-disc
>     > > wrote:
>     > > > I have talked about Docker and LXC out of my own experience.
>     Now I've
>     > > been
>     > > > Salt-ing the whole infrastructure (
>     > > https://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/ ).
>     > > >
>     > > > I'd love to share my own finite experience, findings,
>     choices (not
>     > > ideal, of
>     > > > course). I'd love to hear your comments, your perspective
>     and your "war
> [...]
Mikalai Birukou
CEO | 3NSoft Inc.