[kwlug-disc] git: merging some but not all commits

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Thu Mar 21 14:57:05 EDT 2019

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019, at 13:53, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 12:34:46PM -0400, Chris Irwin wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 21, 2019, at 03:00, Paul Nijjar via kwlug-disc wrote:
> >
> > 2. Merge devel, and revert commits you don't want
>
> Say I do this. Then let's say that I commit future changes to devel.
> The next time I merge do I get only non-config changes?

Maybe. If you make any other config changes, you'll have the same problem again. And if any other commits are merged into master and you merge master into devel, you're back to not having any devel config.

> If this is the
> case then I only have to go through the pain once, as opposed to the
> first option where I have to remember to cherry-pick every single
> time.
>
> I agree with others that it is not great to keep config checked into
> git, but this is one of those situations where I am trying to figure
> out what is going on with somebody else's code, and I do not want to
> break production before I understand things better.

If it were me, I'd leave production as-is (otherwise you're spending more time than you'd probably prefer).

However, after solving this immediate issue with either #1 or #2 options, I'd delete 'devel', and create a new one off of master (or use feature branches), being sure not to commit any devel-specific changes (`git add -p`may be helpful here).

--
*Chris Irwin*

email: chris at chrisirwin.ca
 xmpp: chris at chrisirwin.ca