[kwlug-disc] Screen vs Tmux

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Jun 21 13:35:24 EDT 2019

Another dinosaur using screen here.
And it has been an integral part of my workflow for over a decade.

I have a shell script that gets invoked when I login, and checks if there
is an existing session by a specific name. If there is one, it connects to
it.
If there is no such session, it creates one.

This is basically screen -ls, screen -S mysession, and screen -d -r.

Then I have one shell to every host I use, or projects I have.

The .screenrc file assigns titles to them like so:

screen -t a     1 bash
screen -t b     2 bash
screen -t c    3 bash
screen -t d    4 bash
screen -t s     5 bash
screen -t s     6 bash

s is short for 'shell', and I need to use one letter so all 18 sessions fit
on the status line.
a, b, c are short names for hosts.

Ctrl a ' d takes me to the 'd' screen.
Ctrl a ' 5 takes me to screen 5

The status line also contains the UTC date and time

Your fingers will learn quickly what works.